I’m just going to cut to the chase………you need to get out of the house.
Now, full transparency here, I’m not one to get all dressed up to leave the house……..BUTTTT I do understand the value of showing up, connecting and building those relationships. The whole premise of Public Relations is that you’ve got to form relationships…….publicly!!!
As a PR professional you might think that it would be easy for me to ‘just do it’ but even I struggle with making this a reality. So if you’re like me and networking is on your ‘to do’ list but the very thought of it has you feeling all weird inside then here are some tips that has helped me:
- Don’t try to be everywhere. Choose the events that you believe will give you the most value and the most meaningful connections;
- Don’t try to talk to everyone. Be strategic with who you connect with;
- Don’t try to sell. Let the conversation flow, you never know where the relationship will lead…..
Speaking of conversations………how do you even begin? What do you talk about?
I’ve got you there.
Making that first step can be hard, but I learned that there a few things you can ask that will not just open the conversation but will allow others to open up and trust you more:
- What are you most passionate about? Once you ask this question, trust and believe you might have to beg them to stop. People love to talk about what they’re passionate about, particularly to someone who absolutely wants to hear it.
- What projects are you working on? Again, people are always excited to talk about themselves so showing interest will allow them to open up to you.
- What do you need help with right now? Most people are afraid to ask for help but once you give them an opening, they may be more willing to divulge. Who knows, maybe it’s something you might be able to help with.
Opening with any of these three questions allows you to control the conversation plus shows others that you are more happy to know more about them and what they do.
So hun, you are now ready to make showing up a reality for 2023.
It’s a process…..I get it…..but I promise you it’s worth it.