Here we are in week two of 2017. Have you been keeping up with your new year’s resolution?
Many of us get caught in making plans to do better for the New Year, but pretty soon we revert back to our old ways. Why you may ask, maybe this little story will help.
When I was about nine years old or so, my mom decided to entertain one of her friends, who had brought along her children. As most kids do, I took them to my room to show them my toys. The brother and sister duo were less interested in this and focused their attention to the view from my bedroom window.
Allow me paint the view for you………..we live in a two story house, so the view was of other single story homes and of the northern range. At night, in addition to the twinkling stars, I could see the lights from many homes and cars as they drove up and down through the streets through the hills. The siblings gasped and said that it was the most beautiful thing they had ever seen. I was shocked, in my naive view of the world I though everyone had this type of view. The sister told me that I was so lucky and they both gazed out the window taking in the scenery. I asked her “what was so great about it, what’s the view from your bedroom window?” She replied “a house……our neighbor’s white fence wall”
Some people are like that. They only see the ‘white fence wall’ directly in front of them and have no view of anything else. No concept of what could be beyond that thing they perceive is in their way. How many of us are trapped in our own way of seeing things that it works towards our detriment and are simply operating from a limited outlook on life?
As John Welch said “Good business leaders create a vision, articulate the vision, passionately own the vision, and relentlessly drive it to completion”
You need to know where you want to be and expand your view on things. Change your way of thinking and of seeing things. To some it may be an obstacle but to a business leader it’s a challenge to be overcome. Let your vision for yourself and your business move you to make decisions and stay in constant movement. How do you expand your horizon?
- Read more, any successful entrepreneur has this high up on their list. Get into the practice of reading or try audio books, whatever it takes to soak in that knowledge and expand your view on things.
- Listen to people who have gone through what you are struggling with and have had real results. Too many of us are seeking advice from people who are on the same boat as us. Classic case of the blind leading the blind. Ask advice of people who are where you want to be and find out how they did it, then simply do it!
- Find a coach in the field you need who can guide you and keep you accountable. There is no reason to think you have to do it alone. Someone who can advise you, stretch you to your limit and push you forward in the right direction.
- Get out there and get moving. You may get fall, have your feelings hurt and your ego bruised but as my mentor says “Sitting on the sidelines isn’t where the winners play. The only way to win is to get on the field…and play.” To learn and grow you must experience something you have never experienced before.
- Ask questions and stop being a victim to what you don’t know. We live in a world where everything is at your fingertips, put it out there as to what you are looking for or even Google it, you will definitely find it
It’s a new year, let’s change our way of thinking and of doing things. Let’s use our drive and determination propel us forward and stop letting our skewed view of things keep us from our greatness
IT’S TIME TO STOP WRITING YOUR VISION STATEMENT AND START LIVING IT!!!
If you want more then join our highly stimulated, highly energetic, results oriented marketing tribe at The New SMS: Strategic Marketing Specialists: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thenewsms/