So you might be thinking the pandemic is pretty much dominating the airwaves, there is no way any media would want to interview you, and to that I say…..nothing can be further from the truth.
You see right now, more than any other time in history, the media is craving more content. They’re looking for ‘feel good’ stories designed to educate, motivate, inform and transform their audience….so you see, you’ll fit right in.
For me, I was able to show up much more frequently during the pandemic because so many people were confused, fearful and unsure of what to do next.
I showed up to mompreneurs to share how I was coping working from home with a toddler;
I showed up to entrepreneurs to discuss tips to maintain productivity;
I showed up to business owners to discuss the most effective marketing strategies;
I literally just showed up, took control and shared my knowledge and experience with over 40 plus global media houses and thousands (if not millions) of people. My brand awareness grew, my engagement increased and the sales came in sooner, quicker and faster than before.
The good news for you is, when it comes to traditional media you have quite a few things going for you
- You don’t need to be a social media influencer or a household name to get featured. (as a matter of fact you don’t even need to have any ‘on camera’ experience)
- Media outlets are always looking for experts who can provide content for their stories
- Since last year, many stations have been interviewing persons from home so it’s no longer necessary to show up in person at the studio
- You can choose the type of media you’d like to be in based on your personality and your audience so whether you’d prefer to write, speak, contribute to part of or have an entire article all about you there is a media house out there that will love to hear from you.
But how do you actually show up? How do you get journalists to take notice and choose you over anyone and everything else even when Covid-19 seems to be everywhere right now? Well I have a few strategies that can help:
- Acknowledge the pandemic in your pitches. You can state because of what’s going on in the world you have noticed certain things in your industry that need to be addressed. For me, as mentioned previously, I noticed many business owners were unsure of their next step, so I was able to pitch to business publications helpful strategies their audience can implement to help them stay afloat. It worked wonders. I also noticed that a lot of women entrepreneurs were struggling with homeschooling whilst working their business so I was able to share helpful tips in magazines and podcasts targeted to mompreneurs. What are some of the things you notice that you can shed some light on with your knowledge and expertise
- Stay positive. Although things may seem doom and gloom as you’re shedding light on an issue, be sure that you can bridge the gap between what others are experiencing and how you can alleviate these negative feelings. Remember I said the media is looking for ‘feel good’ stories so how can you help more people feel better and more positive about the situation they’re in? The media would be dying to interview you to share that info.
- Understand that you are an expert so approach the media as such. Use positive language and be direct with your responses. Stand firm because no one knows who you are and what you do better than you. Trust that you are the best in your field and let the media know how much of a resource you are by stating how you are uniquely qualified to speak on the topic. In my case, when I was talking to mompreneurs, it helped when I stated that I was a mom with two kids born eighteen years apart. After the initial *gasp* they understood why I was the best person to speak to their audience.
- Let your passion shine through. If there’s one thing I know about you is that when you’re in your element no one can get you to stay quiet because you’re so passionate about what you’re saying….let that passion shine through when you’re talking to the media. Trust me, they won’t even think about telling you ‘no’.
At the end of the day, there are so many opportunities for you to show up. No matter what’s going on in your community or even in the world, you can harness the power of publicity to share what you know and take your brand where it needs to be.
So question: How would you like to be featured in 30days guaranteed?
You already know that building that authority in your business is crucial in business and I’d like to help you fast track your results with a proven framework. Many of my clients were featured in as little as two weeks and I’d love for you to have the same results.
The doors to my one of a kind Media Mastermind are open and you’re invited. Click here for all the information and let me help you show up and showcase your brand to the world.