It is amazing to me how many entrepreneurs just refuse to get in front of the camera especially when it’s clear that this is the direction that technology is heading and people are more likely to connect with you on social media if there’s a picture or better yet a video.
I see so many entrepreneurs offering advice or trying to sell their products and they’re nothing more than a figment of their potential client’s imagination because no one has EVER seen them.
Showing up on social media is great and I will always advise to form relationships, but no one can take you seriously if they don’t know what you look or sound like. As a matter of fact, the more you hide, is the more people will think that you have something to hide and that’s enough to make them not take you seriously.
I mean, put yourself in the shoes of the viewer, as you’re scrolling through your feed, aren’t you more likely to watch a video or connect with someone if you know what they look like? Why do you expect persons to know, like and trust you then if you’re not giving them the opportunity to know who you are?
Maybe you have an innate fear of not being accepted. I hear excuses like
I don’t have a face for video – Which is not true because you’re out in public.
I’m not ready yet – Why not and when will you be ready? *crickets*
I’m not photogenic – I don’t know anyone who is not photogenic, besides your message is more important than how you think you look.
I don’t know what to say – This is impossible because you are the expert in your field
……all of which are lies that you tell yourself but I honestly you are doing yourself and your brand a disservice by not getting in front of the camera. (To read up more about fear take a look at my last blog: Fear, Fail & other four letter ‘F’ words)
The fact is no one cares about you or what you do or what you sell!!! #ouch
If they don’t know who you are, how can they trust you to buy from you?
Let’s take a look at the five types of videos you can use to promote yourself and your business as described by Inspired TV Living
- Positioning Video. This video positions you as the expert in your industry. It let’s viewers know they are in the right place and YOU are the right person. In approx. 90 seconds your positioning video should tell your ideal client why they are there, what you do, how you do it, and the next step you want him/her to take.
- Promotional Video. It’s about serving people, teaching your viewers, and asking them to take action. People are more than 67% more likely to buy a product or service after watching a video! Use the 80/20 rule- 80% create content, 20% promotion.
- Product Video. Use it to leverage your expertise. Teach viewers, share your content, reach more people, and make more money.
- Personality Video. People want to get to know you not just your business. We make buying decisions from people that we like! Don’t be afraid to get vulnerable and show people a “behind the scenes” look into your life.
- Proof Video. People need social proof that what you say is who you are. Get other people to toot your horn! Have them show the results you are getting for them.
But more than the types of videos are the reasons why you absolutely need to do it if you call yourself a serious business owner
- Videos gives you and your brand creditability and you are more likely to be taken seriously
- It allows you to foster real connections in a virtual world
- It increases the likeability factor as people feel they know you and they’ve met you before
- Persons are more likely to stop and listen to what you have to say
- You don’t seem shady and makes you stand out in a noisy world
- You are no longer a phantom because they can now see and hear you
- Live videos encourage real time interaction and boosts engagement (even if they watch the replay)
- It makes people feel at ease to know you’re a real life human being, just like them
So don’t be shy and come out from behind the computer, especially if you’re an entrepreneur that expects your clients to do the same.
You don’t have to be perfect. Clients will do business with people that they feel they know and trust so loet them get to know you.
And remember, videos are taking over the internet and you need to jump on board, particularly when it comes to your business. All you need to start is a good working cell phone and good lighting and you’re all set. So get in front of those cameras and let your clients see and hear you.
Let me know what you think about the above. Leave a comment below and share this with other business owners who might be a little shy about being on camera.
Plus, let me invite you to my upcoming Crushing it with Carli Masterclass Series. It’s the best thing that can happen for the serious minded business owner who’s bootstrapping on a budget. Head on over to www.crushingitwithcarli.com to get all the details and to sign up.
Plus join my private Facebook group The New SMS: Strategic Marketing Specialists for all the free training and advice that you can handle.
See you soon!!